Eat healthy, be wealthy!
The vegetables that we consume on a daily basis has so much nutritional value. Often, this goes unnoticed. Here are some vegetables that will ensure you stay hail and healthy!
• Eggplant/Brinjal :-
The Hindi word for them, ‘baingan,’ is actually derived from another word that means ‘without merit,’ since the eggplant has for long time been misunderstood as a non-nourishing food.
Eggplants contain certain essential phyto nutrients which improve blood circulation and nourish the brain. But remember—these nutrients are concentrated in the skin of the eggplant, so don’t char and throw it away.
• They provide fiber, which protects the digestive tract. In fact, regular intake of eggplants can protect you from colon cancer.
• Eggplant is low in calories. It contains no fat.
• Eggplants have been used for controlling and managing diabetes.
• Research studies show they can lower ‘bad’ cholesterol(LDL). But fried eggplant soaks up a lot of fat, making it harmful and heavy.
• Regular consumption of eggplant helps prevent blood clots.
Lady Finger/Okra :-
Lady finger is the part of Indian cuisine for ages. We really don’t care much while eating ‘em and many of us don’t like this gooey veggie.
• Low calorie content and high fibre content makes it a must have for weight loss.
• It contains a soluble fibre called pectin which helps in reducing LDL and prevents atherosclerosis.
• A type of fibre ,eugenol helps in slowing down the digestion and absorption process of sugar in the blood stream.
• Okra contains folic acid which helps in the development of foetus.
Coriander leaves :-
Coriander or ‘dhania’ is a common herb used in India.
• Coriander has many antibacterial properties which helps cure acne, pimples and oily skin.
• It curbs the problem of indigestion and helps increase appetite.
• It strengthens the immune system.
• Coriander slows down the process of aging.
Curry leaves :-
Curry leaves or kadi patta/metha neem is mostly used as a seasoning ingredient. Most of us don’t bother to eat this slightly bitter leaf which is packed with nutrients.
• A rich source of foilc acid and iron, it helps keep anaemia at bay.
• Curry leaves protect your liver from oxidative stress and harmful toxins.
• It also controls the blood sugar levels.
• Curry leaves prevent the oxidation of cholesterol as it’s rich in antioxidants hence preventing heart diseases.
Green/raw Bananas :-
Although the green banana is simply an unripened yellow banana, it has different uses. It is more popular in dishes of southern India and Bengal.
• Resistant starch is a type of starch that cannot be broken down by enzymes in your digestive system and, therefore, acts more like a fiber than a starch. Green bananas contain a high amount of resistant starch.
• Green bananas are also a good source of fiber.
• The green banana is high in potassium, including more high-potassium foods in your diet may aid in blood pressure control.
Latest posts by Sayan Bose (see all)
- 3rd July 2k16: Tweets of the Day - July 3, 2016
- 2nd July 2k16: Tweets of the Day - July 2, 2016
- Eat healthy, be wealthy! - June 30, 2016